Sunday 2 November 2014

The Fat Elvis Pie Baked Oatmeal

I've been a legal adult for nearing two weeks now. And I feel no different.

 
Yes I can do more. But I choose not to. I mean, okay I had a cocktail at my birthday dinner, (A strawberry daquri) but it was really a one off, aside from my party the Saturday before (Champs all around!) I don't drink. To be honest the only things that will change is I can now buy and see 18 rated films, I was carded whilst trying to purchase the remake of  'The girl with the dragon tattoo' a couple of months back. Had to get MY GRANDMOTHER to get it for me. And I can now buy SCISSORS! (In the UK you can't buy them unless your 18 for "safety reasons"
 
Yep, lifes getting crazy now I'm an adult.

 
Anyway, as part of my celebrations I made myself a special birthday brekkie. Something that combines my many loves. Peanut butter, bananas and BACON.
 
Coconut bacon to be exact. My new obsession. Its amazing. It tastes like bacon. It smells like bacon. It even sizzles in the oven...like bacon. But its not. Its vegan, and clean and full of bloomin good fats that make your skin and hair radiant! Its HEALTHY BACON!!


 
As you saw in the first pic, I was a little sad and stuck a candle in there, it was my birthday, I had to. But as I'm supremely proud of my actual B-day cake, I'll share a quick pic or two f that aswell. Below.
 
It was from a famous bakery, some of you might know it. *cough* ChoccyWoccyDooDah *cough*
Gluten-free (Ground almonds instead of flour) Lemon sponge layered with milk chocolate praline (Nutella and Ferrero Rocher's secret love child)
 
It was amazing. To say the least.
 
And will surely inspire another oatmeal recipe in the future.
 
 
But back to the one at hand, of course.
 

The Fat Elvis

Inspired by The King. It is rightfully named. Its indulgent, and rich.

 

Ingredients:

The Crust:
1/3 Cup/30g Rolled Oats
1/4 Tsp Baking powder
Pinch of Salt
1/3 Cup/80ml Milk of choice (I use unsweetened almond)
1/4 Cup/A big handful of raw Peanuts, roughly chopped\
 
OPTIONAL: 2 TBSP Flaxseed
 
The Filling:
1/2 Cup of Yogurt of choice, (Greek, plain, vanilla) I used Greek
2 TBSP Smooth Peanut butter, or 2 servings PB2, I used Peanut butter
 
1 Ripe Banana (1 small or 1/2 a large)
1 Tsp Smooth or crunchy Peanut Butter
 
Topping:
3-5 Raw peanuts
Small handful of Coconut Bacon/Veggie alternative or even regular bacon bits

Method:

The Crust:
1. Preheat the oven to 350F/180C/Gas Mark 4. Grease dish/ramekin with cooking spray/butter.
2. Mix oats, baking powder and salt (And Flax). Add the peanuts and then the milk, bit by bit till the oats are wet but not sloppy. Pour into prepared dish and using your hands/spoon, push the mixture to and up the sides of the dish to form a crust case. Try to get it to the top and as even as possible.
3. Bake for 15-17 minutes. It should be fully set and firm and the peanuts will be golden and aromatic. Let to cool completely, I did this overnight, just covering it in cling to stop it going stale. But it shouldn't take more than 20-30 minutes.
 
If you wish to/can get your case out of your dish, go for it. I was afraid mine would full apart so didn't risk it. But would have been A LOT easier to eat if I had.
 
The Filling:
1. Whip the peanut butter and yogurt together till smooth and let chill.
 
To assemble:
1. Chop up the banana into slices, reserving 1 slice for decoration. Arrange the rest in the bottom of the crust, you want 1-2 layers. Eat the rest as you go :P
2. Spoon the 1 Tsp peanut butter on top of the banana and cover with the filling. Smooth out the filling to the edges.
3. Top with the bacon, extra peanuts (Roasted if you wish) and banana slice. Enjoy!
 



Please, leave a comment, as a belated birthday present to me. I haven't received any yet. I'd say it would make my day, but it would probably make my year :)

No comments:

Post a Comment