Wednesday 1 October 2014

Chocolate Pumpkin Overnight Oat Parfait

It's the first of October. Meaning its now officially the month of All Hallows Eve. Meaning...Halloween special time!!!


Now you can't have halloween without something pumpkin. Or chocolate. So why not have both in one breakfast?

The quantity is large. I'll warn you now. It's actually double my normal serving of oats. But its better I indulge on breakfast than a bowl of sweets.

I was running late this morning so my choice of container isn't the best, buts it's all I had that was see-through, clean and deep enough for the abundance of oats I had made up the night before. Also, in my defense, decoration was a rushed job. So forgive my crude little jack-o'-lantern. He would have looked more charming but I overslept. You can decorate this oatmeal if you wish, it will still taste great if you don't. But it's more fun if you do.


Chocolate Pumpkin Overnight Oat Parfait



Ingredients:

Chocolate Layer:
1/2 Cup/45g Rolled Oats
Pinch of Salt
1/3 Cup/80ml Milk of choice, I used chocolate (Rebel Kitchen) for extra chocolatey-ness
2 TBSP Cocoa powder
1/2 Tsp Vanilla extract
1/3 Cup Yogurt of choice, I used greek
1 Tsp Maple syrup or sweetener of choice

Optional: 1 TBSP Flaxseed or Chia seeds. If omitting reduce liquid to get a thick consistency

Pumpkin Layer:
1/2 Cup/40g Rolled Oats
Pinch of Salt
1/3 Cup Pumpkin Puree
2 Tsp Maple syrup or sweetener of choice
120ml Milk of choice, I used unsweetened almond milk
1/2 Tsp Pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon
1/2 Tsp Vanilla extract

Optional: 1 TBSP Flaxseed or Chia seed. If omitting reduce liquid to get a thick consistency

Toppings:
Chocolate chips, cacao nibs or raisins for the face
Green fruit leather (I used a Bear, apple yo-yo's), or anything green, for the stalk

Method:

1. In to separate bowls/jugs/containers make up the mix up the separate oats by mixing all the ingredients thoroughly. Cover and chill in the fridge overnight or for at least four hours.
2. Layer the oats and decorate as you wish. I threw some chocolate chips into the layers for extra indulgence.





No comments:

Post a Comment