Thursday 9 October 2014

Candy Corn Overnight Oats

Another overnight oat Halloween special? Yep.


In honor of 'American Horror Story' (One of the best shows ever)'s new season: Freakshow. Which I just finished watching, and wow have they stepped it up a notch. I present my next Halloween special: Candy Corn Overnight Oats!!

Naturally flavored and coloured of course. Since candy corn doesn't have any real flavour, other than sugar syrup and beeswax. Apparently. Cause I've never actually tried any. Only admired the look of it.


Halfway through making these layers, I completely redesigned them. Instead of my usual flaxseed I chose chia seeds. Cause I thought flax would ruin the colour. And the flavouring of the yellow layer. I had first planned to use banana, but when the mango was a vibrant yellow not orange like I desired I decided to use that for the yellow and blend in a bit of strawberry to create orange.

What I will say is that though chia seeds thicken oats better and quicker than flaxseed, they do have a dark colour. Once I added it to my oats I was afraid of how they would look in my pictures. The next day the oats were still pastel coloured with black chia seeds, so I blended more mango and mixed it on in. In the recipe I put in the amount I used overall but keep extra mango on hand.

I had extra mango leftover so I poured it on top of the yellow for more vibrancy.

I had a lot of extra oats leftover aswell, once I filled my glass, so I threw them all together in one of the bowls and ate it all mixed up.

Candy Corn Overnight Oats



Ingredients:

White layer:
1/4 Cup/20g Rolled Oats
Pinch of Salt
1/2 Tsp Vanilla extract
1-2 Tsp Maple syrup or sweetener of choice
4-5 TBSP Milk of choice
2 heaped TSP yogurt of choice
1 TSP Chia Seed

Orange layer:
1/3 Cup/30g Rolled Oats
Pinch of Salt
1 big handful of mango, fresh (about 1/3 of a mango) or frozen and thawed
1 strawberry or some chunks of frozen and thawed strawberries
1/8 Tsp Vanilla extract
4-5 TBSP Milk of Choice
1 heaped TSP yogurt of choice
1 Tsp Chia Seed

Yellow layer:
1/4 Cup/20g Rolled Oats
Pinch of salt
1/8 Tsp Vanilla extract
4-5 TBSP Milk of choice
1 heaped TSP Yogurt of choice
2 Big handfuls of mango, fresh (about half a mango) or frozen and thawed
1 TSP Chia Seed

Method:

1.White Layer: In a bowl/jug/ mix all the ingredients up all dry ingredients and yogurt. Mix in the milk bit by bit, you want the oats to be soaked and wet but not drowning. The chia seeds will thicken all three layers so you can adjust the mixs in the morning by adding more milk to get your desired consistency.
Yellow layer: Blend the mango and pour into a bowl/jug. Add all ingredients and mix, adding the milk like in the first layer. Cover.
Orange layer: In the same blender blitz up the mango, chop up the strawberry and add a bit into the mango. Blend again, add more strawberry if the colour isn't orangey enough. Pour into another clean bowl/jug and mix in the rest of the ingredients and cover.
2. Put all in the fridge and chill overnight or for at least four hours.
3. Layer up your oats to form your corn. A small white layer, bigger orange layer and yellow equal to the white. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment