Thursday 7 August 2014

Strawberry Scone Cobbler Baked Cobbler, and Scone Style

Again I have a double post. The first recipe is for a scone style baked oatmeal, the second, uses the basic recipe to make an even more beautiful breakfast.



As a Brit I was brought up on all the high tea classics; cherry bakewell, crumpets, shortbread and bourbons, Victoria sponge. But one of the best treats would always be a perfectly buttery, crumbly sweet scone. Though it has to be said, I never looked at any of these sweet treats as 'treats', I used to have them all the time. Now, not so much. I've only had them (Scones) twice in this last year, at afternoon teas my family has hand on special occasions. Both times it reminded of how much I love them. But we all know that classic scones are nothing but fat, white flour and sugar. With some raisins thrown in for a jokey "But there's fruit in there!" excuse.

So I found a healthier solution. The Oatmeal Artists 'Irish Soda Bread Baked Oatmeal'. To me it tastes like a scone. Buttermilk scone of cause, but still a scone. I won't copy out the recipe and put it up as my own. I didn't make enough changes, or any really, to claim it as my own. What I will say is to make it more like a scone, add more raisins, 1/3 Cup should do it but of cause alter it by how much you like, and add other dried fruit you like; currants, sultanas, cranberries, and cherries. Plus though I didn't use it I'm sure a bit of butter extract would make it even more realistic. I had mine with my 'Maple Vanilla Greek Yogurt' as a substitute for the artery clogging clotted cream and fresh strawberries.


Strawberry Scone Cobbler Baked Oatmeal



As I said in my previous post 'Mixed Bean and Veggie Cobbler' I've been looking through my old recipe books for inspiration, and recipes I can turn clean and found this beauty. It uses the the basic scone recipe, with an added filling and so I will post it for this reason.


Ingredients:

Oats:
1/2 Cup/45g Rolled Oats
1/2 tsp Lemon juice
1/3 Cup/80ml milk of choice
1/4 tsp Baking powder
1/4 tsp Bicarbonate of soda (Baking soda)
Pinch of Salt
1/2 Cup/40g serving of Raisins

Filling:
5 medium sized strawberries (enough to fill your dish)
1 tsp Maple syrup (You can sub in honey, stevia, real sugar, or any other sweetener)
1/2 tsp Vanilla extract

Instructions:

1. Mix up the milk and lemon juice. Leave for 10-15 minutes to properly curdle.
2. Cut the strawberries in half or quarters, depending on size. You want them big enough to retain shape whilst cooking. Coat in the maple syrup and vanilla. Place in your dish and roast in the oven for 5-8 minutes at 180C/350F/Gas mark 4. Mix halfway through, spooning any juice back over the berries.
3. Mix up the cobbler topping, to a wet but not sloppy consistency. The mix will smell funny and 'off' because of the baking powder/soda and of course the curdled milk, but I assure you its still all good.
4. Top the strawberries with the mix. You want to lightly pack it down, I had a little extra leftover and baked it next to my dish for a mini oatmeal raisin cookie. Bake at 180C/350F/Gas mark 4 till the top is cooked, or like mine, the juice is bubbling up the sides with the top set solid. I was happy with the outcome, cause the juices made the bottom of the cobbler a little soggy and extra moist.
5. Enjoy with a side of of my 'MRGY', any other yogurt, coconut cream, or for dessert, dairy cream or even ice cream.





Question of the day: How do you pronounce scone? Like SC-OWN or SC-ON. You know what I mean. I pronounce it like the former, the latter is way to posh for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment