Wednesday 6 August 2014

Peaches and Cream Oatcakes, With Melba twist

Okay, the reason, if anyone actually wondered, behind my not posting in awhile is I take all my pictures on my phone and so have to upload them from my phone to my laptop. I know this is probably the usual process for all blogs, but said blogs don't have me, the most unorganized photo hoarder running them. It took me ages because I had to check what pictures I had already saved to my laptop before deleting them off my phone to allow me to only upload the ones I needed, and I'm gonna shut up about now cause its a boring story...anyway!

For those of you who found my blog through Instagram and follow me you will recognize these oatcakes from my profile, where I post all my food, the photogenic stuff anyway. If you don't already follow me, please give my profile a browse, my Instragram name is @theediblewhims

Back to the recipe. Since I adore the combo of peaches and cream so much I decided to turn them into oatcakes, and loved them so much I then put the Melba twist on them a few weeks later. It is the same basic recipe, just with glorious raspberries thrown into the mix.

You don't have to peel the peaches before hand but you will end up with bits of peel in the batter if not. I didn't bother with this with my peaches and cream oatcakes, peel is visible in the pictures but it didn't effect the taste. For my 'cream' filling I obviously didn't use real dairy cream, instead I layered the oatcakes using my 'Maple Vanilla Greek Yogurt' but you can use plain or flavored yogurt, coconut cream or if you want the real thing go for it.



Peaches and Cream Oatcakes

Ingredients:

1/2 Cup/ 45g Rolled Oats (Reserve 1 tbsp)
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice (Cinnamon, ginger, cloves and nutmeg)
1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1/3 Cup/80 ml milk of choice
3 Peaches (1 is needed for the batter, the rest are for stacking)

Maple Vanilla Greek Yogurt

1/3 cup/ 100g serving of Greek yogurt (I use 0% fat)
1 tsp Maple syrup
1/2 tsp Vanilla

Whip together till smooth.

Instructions: 

1. In a blender blitz all dry (oats, baking powder and spice) to a flour consistency.
2. Add the one peach, vanilla and milk and blend. Start with 2/3 of the milk first then add the rest as you want a paint like consistency and depending on the since and ripeness of your peach you may not need all of the liquid. Add the remaining TBSP of oats to the batter and mix in.
3. Heat up your pan or griddle on a medium-low heat and spray with non-stick spray.
4. Once ready, start making your oatcakes. Spoon your batter into your pan, and smooth into a round, 1/4 cup measurements or a heaped TBSP are about right for silver dollar style pancakes. When bubbles form on the surface and the edges are set enough to get a spatula underneath flip them over and cook on the other side.
5. To serve, alternate layers of oatcakes, peaches and 'cream' filling.

Peach Melba Oatcakes

Now don't judge the picture, as I said at the time on Instagram, I got distracted. I was entertaining my Nanna at the time and she just got back from the chippie when I had finished stacking and was taking the picture.So it toppled. I tried to fix it with extra sauce. It reminds me a little bit of a muppet ;)


For the twist, just omit the pumpkin pie spice, add 1/2 tsp vanilla extract and 1/2 tsp maple syrup or some other sweetener to the batter and finish of with raspberry sauce (Blended raspberries). I made my sauce slightly chunky and garnished the whole stack with extra raspberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment