Sunday 24 August 2014

Coconut Strawberry/Cream Pie Overnight Oats

Two basic but good recipes I wanted to share. Unfortunately I don't have an image for the first but you can find it way back on my Instagram profile: @theediblewhims

With both recipes I used a mix of desiccated and shredded coconut as I'm very particular with my coconut. I wholly prefer desiccated as it mixes better and doesn't have the chewy texture of shredded but I use shredded for decoration because it looks fancier. I also despise toasted coconut because I think it takes away from the flavor of the coconut but that's probably just me. Use what you wish. Its your breakfast :P

Coconut Cream Pie Overnight Oats


In regards to yogurt you have two choices. You can use coconut yogurt. I used Waitrose's Coconut Collabarative plain, but this is only available in England. There is another brand 'Coyo' which can be purchased at wholefoods both in American and British stores but both products are expensive and high in calorie. So for those who don't have access to, can't afford or simply is watching their intake cause I know many fall into these categories there is a simple alternative. Mix any yogurt; plain, greek etc, with 1/2 tsp coconut extract. If using greek yogurt, which is the only one I ever use, do also add some sort of sweetener to take away the sour taste.

Ingredients:


1/2 Cup/ 45g Rolled Oats
Pinch Salt
1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/3 Cup/ 80ml milk of choice
1 tsp maple syrup or sweetener of choice
About a 1/3 Cup Coconut yogurt (View notes above)
Coconut (I used desiccated within the oats and shredded for decoration)

Optional: 2 TBSP Flaxseed

Instructions:


1. Set aside 1/3 of the yogurt for topping. Mix everything up in a jug, bowl or mason jar.
2. Cover and chill overnight or for at least four hours.
3. Serve in a new dish or the vessel in which you chilled, top with the rest of the yogurt and coconut.

Strawberry Coconut Overnight Oats




Ingredients:


1/2 Cup/ 40g Rolled Oats
Pinch Salt
1/2 Cup/ 120ml milk of choice
1 tsp maple syrup of sweetener of choice
1/4 Cup/ 50g serving of yogurt of choice (I used greek)
Big handful of Strawberries (hulled and quartered)
Another handful of Coconut (Again I used desiccated and shredded)

Optional: 2 TBSP Flaxseed

Instructions:


1. Mix it all up, save some coconut and strawberries for decoration.
2. Chill overnight or for at least four hours.
3. Serve and decorate.


No comments:

Post a Comment