Saturday 30 August 2014

Cherry Bakewell Tart Overnight Oats

Originating in England, Derbyshire to be exact the Cherry Bakewell tart is a variation of the traditional Bakewell tart. With the addition of a almond flavour fondant and half glace cherry on top of the classic frangipane and cherry jam.



Now funnily enough I've never been a huge fan of the sweet treat, always having to peel off the fondant and cherry as I held strong disdain for both. My father or sister happily ate it for me. The same as they would always eat the icing from birthday cakes I got from parties. I'd leave it in the fridge, having eaten all the sponge and they'd fight over it every time.


But from the moment I began changing up recipes I knew I had to try making some form of the tart. Having attemptd to make it in baked form, an attempt that wasn't a 100% a success, but I'd happily try again soon, I immediately thought about how much better it would be as overnight oats.


Cherry Bakewell Tart Overnight Oats

For the frangipane a.k.a the oats, I wanted a really thick, dense consistency and so used ground almonds, giving it texture as well as adding to the strong almond flavour. For the jam layer I used frozen cherries cooked down with sweetener and vanilla, but feel free to use fresh. Of course you will need to add a little water to fresh, to stop them from sticking to your saucepan, I didn't have to as the my cherries gave out their water and juice as they defrosted. Alternatively just use a couple tablespoons of cherry jam. I didn't have any myself, and wanted a chunky jam layer so used the fruit. For icing I of course used my yogurt recipe, but use any yogurt you wish, vanilla or almond flavour, you could even make up actual icing, but I think that might be a little much for breakfast. Don't you agree?


Ingredients:

Oat layer:

1/2 Cup/40g Rolled Oats
Pinch of Salt
1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 tsp Almond Extract
1/2 Cup/120ml milk of choice
2 TBSP Ground Almonds

Optional: 2 TBSP Flaxseed, or 1 TBSP Chia seeds

Cherry layer:

1 Cup Cherries, fresh or frozen
1 tsp Maple syrup or sweetener of choice
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract

Toppings:

1/2 serving of Maple Vanilla yogurt or yogurt/icing of choice
Some flaked almonds
1 Cherry, fresh or glace

Instructions:

1. Mix up all oat ingredients and chill overnight or for at least four hours. In the morning check its consistency if its too thick for you just whip in some extra liquid. I kept it at a medium thickness.
2. To make the cherry layer heat the ingredients in a small saucepan over a low heat until the fruit is soft. Burst all the fruit so all the juice is released and the cherries breakdown into smaller chunks. Keep stirring or swiveling the pan every once and awhile till the juice thickens and it comes to a jam consistency. Set aside to cool. Of course you can make this the night before too and just store it in the fridge.
3. Make up your yogurt/icing of choice.
4. To serve pour half the oats into a bowl/mason jar etc. Pour over the cherries, then the rest of the oats. Top with the icing, flaked almonds and cherry and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment