Saturday 28 June 2014

First ever post...Morning Glory Oatcakes



Hello internet,

My names Kira, I'm seventeen and I'm a breakfast obsessed Brit, who decided to create a blog to share some of my own recipes for the best and the most important, meal of the day. Now I'm not quite sure how to begin, but bear with me please. I'll get there.

So, one year ago I made the decision to completely change my diet and join the "Clean eating" regime. And I haven't looked back since. Its had its challenges, and I have had my moments but I'm now committed to eating whole foods that are as rich in nutrition as they are in taste. Whilst having the occasional treat. Cause whats life without a bit of naughtiness. This, the cleaning eating, not the naughtiness, is how I came to eating my favorite food of all time. Oatmeal.

Now I know as a proud Brit, I should call it 'Porridge', but that sounds as boring and gloomy as the English weather at this blessed moment, so ignoring my mothers tuts and sneers I will call it what I wish. It is healthy, cheap and above all extremely versatile.

I follow many oatmeal/breakfast blogs myself and after trying out so many different recipes, began to experiment myself. Some very good and some fairly bad trials later I decided to start my own blog to share my successes, as well as laugh over my failures. In short it is to become, the growing archive of, my edible whims.

So I will be posting a few different recipes within the next couple of days, in hopes to fully start off this blog too my best! This first recipe is the 'Oatcake' form of one of my favorite flavor combos, I adore it in both its stove top and baked oatmeal forms and so set about to morph it into a giant glorious stack of oatcakes. So without further ado, my first recipe to end my first post...

Morning Glory Oatcakes



Ingredients:

1/2 Cup/ 45g rolled Oats (I use Gluten-free) Split into 40g and 5g
1/3 Cup/80ml milk of choice (I use unsweetened almond)
1 small/100g zucchini
1 medium/100g Carrot
1 apple (I used golden delicious, but use what you wish)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp lemon zest (adjust to taste)
1 tsp maple syrup

Instructions:

1. Blend up 40g Oats, spice, and baking powder to a flour consistency.
2. Grate up the zucchini, carrot and half the apple. I layered my oatcakes with apple sauce and diced up a quarter of my apple into this to make it chunky as well as adding in some extra lemon zest. If you don't wish to do this than keep the whole of the remaining half for the next step, or have it as a mid oatcake making snack. (Either works.)
3.Add the zest, syrup, the other half of apple (I used a quarter) and about an eight of each veg to into your blender and whizz away till a thick, paint like consistency has formed.
4. Pour into a bowl or mixing jug and mix in the remaining oats, all the grated apple and half of the veg. (You want the rest to layer within your oatcakes, and the apple will go brown and horrid).
5. Now heat up you pan or griddle on a middle low heat, and spray with oil or non-stick spray once ready. As I don't own a pancake griddle I do my oatcakes one by one in a regular pan.
6. Spoon the mixture onto the griddle and smooth into a round. I used a heaped tablespoon. Cook like fritters, until brown and set enough to flip over and cook again till brown on the other side. I put the oatcakes onto a lined baking sheet and kept them warm in the over whilst I cooked the rest. From the mixture I was able to make six good sized oatcakes.
7.To serve, alternate layers of oatcake, apple sauce, and veggies. I topped mine with a heaping spoonful of apple sauce, veggies and a drizzle of maple syrup.

















No comments:

Post a Comment